News

All news

Jellyfish – a real menace on the beach and in the water


Date: 02/06/2014
Source: Bodytalk

Jellyfish are increasing in numbers all over the world (thanks to overfishing).
Jellyfish do not bite, they sting. The two most commonly known in our latitudes are the common jellyfish or aurelia and the Atlantic variant, the rhizostoma octopus (barrel jellyfish). Both are quite harmless and do not sting. By far the most dangerous are stinging jellyfish.
If you are stung, you should wash the area of the sting with sea water taking care to remove the tentacles and then smear cream containing sodium bicarbonate over the sore area. A solution containing Lidocaine Antalgicum (an analgesic) is also recommended, particularly if a sting is inflicted by the compass jellyfish.
According to recent studies, heat (in the form of hot water, hot-packs, hot compresses) will eliminate the poisonous substances injected when a person is stung.
In the case of compass jellyfish, it appears that cold (cold-pack or ice) works better than heat.
Avoid using vinegar, alcohol, fresh water or chlorinated water which appear to re-activate the stinging organs even when the tentacles are separated from the bell (jellyfish).
This advice is really First Aid: if one experiences a lot of pain, difficulty in breathing or an allergic reaction, seek medical advice immediately.