All news

If you have an accident abroad

Date: 07/03/2014
Source: ACCAW (BE)

An accident is always a source of stress even if no-one is hurt. But it is far worse if you have an accident when you are abroad.
By taking the following steps, you will avoid a time-consuming administrative “assault course“ when you return home at the end of the holidays.

Accident report: absolutely essential!
Fill in the accident report form even if the police are present. Remember that the police are only obliged to make a report in their own country if there are any casualties. The report form is a standard document in Europe and is easy to fill in even if the drivers concerned do not speak the same language.

Inform your insurance company of the accident as quickly as possible and certainly within eight days.

European health insurance card
Even if you have not been injured, it is advisable to consult a doctor to confirm that all is well. By producing your European health insurance card, that you obtain from your health insurance scheme before you go on holiday, you show that you are properly insured in your own country. This card allows you to be treated in all countries of the European Union and is also valid in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Australia.

Victim? Know your rights
To speed up the administrative process and a claim against the guilty party’s insurance companyin another country, all third party insurers in the European Union, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein must nominate a representative in Belgium. Your insurer should contact this person with your claim for damages. This representative is obliged to reply to you in your own language within three months. If nothing happens, he/she will be fined.